Chris has Cone Dystrophy, a rare condition affecting his central vision, and was registered blind in December 2021. He started his social media, Blind Man with a Backpack, in May 2021 to raise awareness about his condition and to help clarify many misconceptions people have around sight loss and disability in general. Chris uses a range of assistive technologies to continue his work as a full-time Product Owner within the Financial Services industry. When not working, Chris is an avid walker and can often be found exploring the countryside with his family near his home in Berkshire. Keep up to date with Chris through his blog (www.blindmanwithabackpack.uk) and social media channels (links below).
Follow Chris on social media:
- Would you shoo a dragon? Chris Owen explores how we can stand together against abuse.
- Running the gauntlet of audio description: The challenges visually impaired viewers face when watching TV
- The Postcode Lottery of Cane Training
- When is a junction not a junction?
- 5 Top Tips for making an accessible presentation and other ways for an accessible working environment